Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Return from the Desert

I return from the sunny desert with a sack full of gems and the fine desert sand dusted over my tawny leather boots.
I love going to Tucson each year, it’s like making a pilgrimage to the holy place where artists come to pay homage
to stone, pearls and metal.
It’s amazing, overwhelming and exhausting, all at once.
It’s a never ending display of color, texture, and creative potential.
I’m sated
(for now).

Over the last few days in the desert:
I’ve spent hours giggling with the best gal I know.
I’ve fallen in love.
I’ve caressed the polished faces of stone.
I’ve walked away from untrustworthy vendors.
I’ve met the most interesting lapidary artists from across the nation.
I’ve waited for the right stones to find their way to my hands and then my bag.
I’ve tossed and turned in the night.
I’ve yearned for my kitchen, full of fresh fruit and snacks.
I’ve kept my mind open to new materials.
I’ve pushed myself to see where I will go.
I’ve dreamed of new designs.
I’ve spent hours being a mother hen and loved every minute of it.
I’ve worn dresses and skirts and basked in the warmth of the desert sun.
I’ve promised myself that this is the year to run after my dream, and so I shall.

As I now return home, I reflect on my time in lovely Tucson and stare at my bulging bags of goodies. It’s funny, the haul from this year is so very different from last year. I was headed in a singular direction and the goods I picked up reflected that.
And now I find myself straddled between three separate lines of jewelry, one very much different from anything I’ve done before and I’m so very excited about launching my Grace and Moxie line. It’s still in its infancy and slowly I shape it in my mind and my hands, testing this new space and this new direction. I’m very excited. Very excited.

I hope you all have been well. I’m back in the studio and finishing up orders during my trip. I should have some new lovelies for you this weekend.

No comments: