Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dreaming Big..


When I was young, my parents encouraged me like any other, to pursue the things I wanted out of life and not to stop until I got them. Throughout my years there have been a lot of things I’ve wanted to do – travel across the globe, graduate from a 4 year university, get a good paying job – and luckily for me I’ve been able to do all of these things. But even so, I always felt these things were goals that were just sort of expected from me… Almost everyone from my high school graduated and went to a 4 year college, often one with numerous accolades and prestige. Traveling just seemed a normal privilege of the privileged, I suppose. I thoroughly enjoy traveling, but it didn’t seem like something outside of my grasp.

Not until now did I feel that I really was accomplishing something of my very own. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my business, what the journey has been and what I want from it in the future. I think because my Etsyversary is just around the corner (only 10 days away! And I have some FAB things planned for it!) it’s taken over my thoughts.

Starting Jeweled Blossoms was not something I had initially intended to be very long term. I had wanted to start selling the jewelry I was making and opening myself up to the world a bit… I had no idea that I’d meet so many wonderful artists, become entrenched in new techniques and materials and that I’d finally find a wonderful outlet for my creative tensions. It’s been such a wonderful blessing and as the business side of it continues to grow, I start to wonder where the future of my little adventure will be. I wonder if this is something I could pursue full time and sustain myself on. It’s a scary thought for me to take such a leap, but perhaps in the future this is what I’ll be doing. I love, LOVE making jewelry for all of you wonderful, lovely gals! But I wonder if the stress of a paycheck, making the rent on time, putting food on the table would somehow suck the joy out of creating…

I suppose we’ll just have to find out together.

C.

2 comments:

Signe said...

I just wanted to let you know that I love the jewelry that you create especially the little stories you tell with each piece. I have given your jewelry as a gift this Christmas (to my mother-in-law) and in return I received (from my mother-in-law, (really my husband)) the silver lining earring and gratitude necklace. I wear them almost everyday and I just wanted to say thank you for making unique jewelry that makes me feel beautiful.

Jeweled Blossoms said...

Hi Miss Kari!

Thanks so much for your very kind words :) I'm so glad it can bring a bit of sunshine and happiness into your life. After all, that's what jewelry is for!